1.- Casp Jesuits church.
Inside we can see the sword of St. Ignatius, which he left in 1522 as an offering in Montserrat. The Ignatian Route begins at the church.
2.- Plaza de Sant Agustí Vell
Coming from Manresa, Saint Ignatius entered Barcelona through calle Portal Nou, which ends on the left. At the beginning of it was the gate of the medieval city wall, of which you can still see some old arcades. At the other end there is a watering hole for the cavalries, placed in the same way as Saint Ignatius would have seen it, although the current stones are not the original ones.
3.- Marcus chapel
It was built in 1166 by Bernat Marcús and was soon the seat of the Virgen de la Guía. Here the carriages that entered and left the city stopped to beg for protection or to thank the Virgin Mary. The chapel has been carefully restored and the exterior cleaned. Interestingly, it was not destroyed during the civil war. Its interior, remodeled several times, is not of particular interest. The image of the Virgin is not the original that Ignatius saw. On the outside, in the adjoining house, at an angle to calle Assaonadors, there is a relief of Saint John the Baptist with an inscription in Catalan.
4.- Plaza de la Llana
The extension of this square is calle de la Bòria and the last alley on the left, parallel to Via Laietana, is the current calle San Ignacio, where Inés Pascual’s house was located, the place where Ignatius of Loyola stayed during his stays in Barcelona. The house was demolished in 1852 when calle Princesa was laid out. The part where Saint Ignatius’ room used to be corresponds to the corner that today forms calle San Ignacio with calle Princesa. 7.
5.- Basilica of Santa Maria del Mar
In front of the side door of the Basilica we have calle Mirallers, where Jerome Ardèvol, Ignatius’ Latin teacher, lived. The church of Santa María del Mar was built by the city’s artisan guilds, as a counterweight to the Cathedral, the seat of the nobility and aristocracy. Nowadays the central nave is clear, which gives it its characteristic grandiosity, but in Saint Ignatius’ time it was occupied by a big wooden choir. Entering through the main door, on the left hand side we see a small basin of holy water. On the second tier of the adjacent chapel, a plaque reminds us that Ignatius sat there when he begged for alms. The place is accurate, according to a document signed by the Basilica’s Construction Board in 1717.
6.- Plaza del Angel
When Via Laietana was built at the beginning of the 20th century, calle Bòria was cut off. At no. 3 of this street was the Estudio General where Master Ardèvol taught Latin to Saint Ignatius.
7.- Plaza de los Santos Just i Pastor
On the right-hand side we see the church in which St. Ignatius was sitting listening to the sermon with the children, when Isabel Roser was moved by the devotion and humility of that pilgrim. In front of the church is the house of Isabel Roser, Ignatius’ benefactor.
8.- Royal Chapel of Palau
Going around the side of the church we focus on calle Hércules and we arrive at calle Ciudad. In front, we find the Town Hall with its medieval facade. Behind the new Town Hall building, following calle Templarios, we arrive at calle Palau, where the Jesuits’ residence is at number 3. In the church, former chapel of the royal palace, the mattress and a bench used by St. Ignatius during his stay in Ines Pascual’s house are preserved.
From here, crossing Plaza de Sant Jaume and entering through calle del Bisbe, we enter the Gothic quarter. Two more places to go. In the Cathedral, the chapel of Santa Eulalia, under the high altar, was the chapel of the Blessed Sacrament in the time of Saint Ignatius, and no doubt long hours of prayer would be spent there. And the Archdeacon’s house, opposite the chapel of Santa Lucía and the Episcopal Palace, and now the Municipal Archive: St. Francis Borgia lived there when he was Viceroy of Catalonia. It was there that F. Fabro tried to enter the Company in 1542.